Ever since I started recognizing my anxiety and depression for what it really was, an actual illness, I started to realize that I needed to take care of myself, not just physically but emotionally and mentally as well. This was, and continues to be, a battle, and you cannot go into a battle without armor.
Once that realization hit, I started to google, pin and research different types of self-care and what it boiled down to is that it is all about finding what works best for you. So I decided to share with y'all some tips and what I usually do for when I am having a not-so-great day.
1. If you're feeling groggy or sluggish, the first thing I can suggest is to drink some water. Go to your kitchen, ice down some water and rehydrate. Water is an amazing cure for most anything.
2. Find a quiet spot, close your eyes and take three deep breathes. As simple as that sounds, sometimes all your body needs is a moment to reevaluate itself. Do this every hour during your bad days. It is not a solution but at times, it is just what you need to get through the rest of the day.
3. Ask for a hug. If you're okay with being touched because I know at times when I am having a bad day, I don't want to be touched or hugged or even talked to, but if you're okay, ask for one. Something as simple as a hug can make you feel better.
4. Clean. One of the easiest things for me to do when I am feeling down is to clean my space. Whether it's going through my room, Cloroxing everything or going through my closet and getting rid of clothes I know don't fit or haven't worn in 6 months.
5. Writing is another thing I do when I am feeling bad because I am able to get everything off my chest or focus on a different world for a while. It is also something that gives your brain a new thing to think about.
6. Go outside. Fresh air and nature always seems to put my mind at ease.
7. Last but not least-It is perfectly okay to not be okay. Do not let the world tell you that you have to have it together 24/7. Break down, cry, curl up in a ball and just hide under the covers. Let me repeat this-It is okay to not be okay. We are not robots, we have feelings and emotions and sometimes, those emotions overpower us because our minds are strong. They are put into battle everyday and sometimes, those battles do more harm than good but we are still standing and we are still fighting.
As mentioned before, these ideas don't work for everyone, but they help me out a lot when days get too tough for me. One of the best advice I could ever give to y'all however, is to find people who you can trust more than anything, who you can call on your bad days and they will be there, the ones who know the signs of a bad day from a good day, the people who will let you lean on them and not ask for anything in return.
Find your people, or even just your person who will stand by your side as you fight a battle you did not volunteer for. Talk, or not talk, to them when you are struggling and let them remind you that you are loved.
As always, I am here for anyone who needs to talk or if you just need a listening ear. You can find me on my instagram, twitter or Facebook. You are not alone.
Until next time lovelies,
"If it scares you, it might be a good thing..."